Deal Town and Sidlesham

Match Reports

Deal Town and Sidlesham

Chatham Town 4 (Vines 51, Walker 75, 90+3, Spiers 90+5) Deal Town 0

After a goalless first half, a rampant Chatham Town pulled away in the second half and scored four goals without reply to beat Deal Town.

Deal were first out of the blocks, and had the game’s first shot after just four minutes.  That effort was off target, while Chatham’s new goalkeeper Dan Ellis made a good save to deny Deal three minutes later.

There was a suspicion of handball about Deal’s clearance of a corner on 13 minutes but the referee was uninterested.  Jack Mahoney’s shot from the edge of the area forced a good save and a Chatham corner on 21, while Paul Vines’ cross gave Byron Walker a chance seven minutes later.

Deal went close with a free kick on 34, but chances were few in what remained of the first half and the game was goalless at half time.

Chatham took the lead in controversial circumstances six minutes into the second half. Byron Walker was chasing a ball forward, and collided heavily with the Deal goalkeeper.  Both players went to ground while the ball ran loose to Vines, and he put it into the empty net to give Chatham the lead.  The Deal players thought that play should have been stopped after the collision and one can understand their position, but play to the whistle.

Jack Mahoney’s fiercely hit shot went just over the bar four minutes later, and Danny Grant and Jon Pilbeam too went close.  But Deal hit the post on 71, and it was clear that Chatham needed another goal to make the game safe.

They got that goal on 75 when Walker took the ball across the penalty area and then low into the corner of the net.  By now the game was won, but Chatham rubbed salt into Deal’s wounds by scoring twice more in added time.  Walker’s third was well taken from the right, before Alfie Spiers brought the game to a close with an excellent solo effort.  He took the ball more than half the length of the pitch to score, and his goal was immediately followed by the final whistle.

Chatham Town 4 (Vines 51, Walker 75, 90+3, Spiers 90+5) Deal Town 0
Team: Ellis, Grant, Butler, Mahoney, Avery, Walters-Wright, Pilbeam, Fitzgerald, Vines, Walker, Hagan (Spiers 88). Subs not used: McDonagh, Goueth, Thompson, Nourse. Referee: Mr A Conn.
Attendance: 209.


Sidlesham 0 Chatham Town 2 (Pilbeam 48, Vines 90+4)

It was an uninspiring game in bucolic surroundings, but Chatham Town won 2-0 at Sidlesham near Chichester to take their place in the Second Round of the FA Vase for the first time since 1999.

Sidlesham play their football a level lower than Chatham, but they had had a good away win in the previous round and clearly had a plan to stifle us.  The bright yellow smoke bomb which one of their supporters threw onto the pitch as the teams came out was not part of that plan, but did at least provide the afternoon with one of its rather few talking points.

We made a bright start and might have had a penalty just two minutes into the game.  That was not given and Chatham were unable to make anything of a free kick just outside the area on 9.  Sidlesham goalkeeper Boyt did well to clear a Chatham corner on 12, but Sidlesham’s defensive plan then came into its own and there were few further chances in the first half.

Sidlesham had their first shot with 27 minutes played, and it forced Dan Ellis into action for the first time – but four minutes later, Sidlesham had the ball in the net.  The goal was disallowed for a foul on Ellis, but not before another bright yellow smoke bomb invaded the pitch.

Who knows what James Collins said to the team at half time, but it clearly worked as Chatham showed renewed purpose as the second half opened.  Boyt dropped Jon Pilbeam’s cross two minutes into the half and got away with it, but a minute later Chatham were ahead.  Danny Grant took a free kick half way into the Sidlesham half, and that free kick found Pilbeam who scored from close range.

Sidlesham’s defensive tactics kept the game quiet for the next 20 minutes, although Vines did head into the side netting following a corner.  Sidlesham had a couple of breaks of their own, including a shot which sailed well over the bar, before Vines hit the bar at the other end.

As the game moved into added time, a Pilbeam shot from the edge of the area went inches wide before Vines wrapped the game up.  Keeper Boyt came out of his area to collect the ball but missed it completely, and Vines was on hand to score a simple goal which he celebrated in style with the travelling Chatham supporters.

Sidlesham 0 Chatham Town 2 (Pilbeam 48, Vines 90+4)
Team: Ellis, Grant, Butler, Mahoney, Avery, Walters-Wright (Spiers 70), Pilbeam, Fitzgerald, Vines, Walker, Bodkin (McDonagh 82). Subs not used: Bray, Thompson, Hagan.
Referee: Mr L Chapman (Surrey).
Attendance: 69